This past Saturday I was able to attend the Deaf-blind Christmas Social. We traveled to Hot Springs. We ate at Red Lobster and then we went to Garvin Gardens to look at all the lights. After we all looked at the lights we were all cold and wanted something to warm us up, so we went to Starbucks.
While we were eating at Red Lobster. I was able to sit with two great guys. One of the is a Deaf-blind member and the other was his SSP(support service provider) and he is Deaf. I was able to interpret for them when the Waitress would say something. In that situation I was able to put to use everything I have learned in the classroom. Also after we were done eating and we were getting our checks. The waitress asked me where the group was from. Then she told me that her brother lives and the school in little rock and that he is bother Deaf and Blind. She told us all thank you for coming. Also as we were leaving the restaurant I was able to put to use some of the techniques that I have learned in the classroom. I was able to provide sighted guide for an individual in the community.
Then we went to Garvin Gardens to look at all the lights. I was able to see how you can use all the classifiers that we learned in all the ASL classes. When describing the lights to the Deaf-blind individual. It was also neat getting to see there faces light up when they were able to touch the lights and get a better idea of what you were describing.
Afterward we went to Starbucks and just sat around and chatted with each other. It was a great experience just getting to go and be part of the community. They are so sweet and just a great group to be around. I love getting to chat with everyone and they all tell me different stories about there past. I just love going to functions and just getting to see all my friends there. I can't wait till the next one!
Merry Christmas!!
Snack anyone?
11 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment